An effective financial secretary will receive, record, and deposit all funds received by the congregation in a timely, thorough, and confidential manner. The financial secretary works with the treasurer and committee on finance to develop policies and procedures so that funds can be made available to support the ministry of the congregation.
Responsibilities of the Position
- The financial secretary works according to the guidelines established by the committee on finance to receive funds from whatever source (including through the mail and by electronic deposit), record them, and report them to the church treasurer and to the committee on finance or, in some cases, the trustees.
- The financial secretary arranges for collecting offerings received during worship services and other church gatherings at the conclusion of these events, making certain that more than one person is involved in collecting and counting the money.
- This leader collaborates with the finance committee to establish procedures for collecting and recording all money received through the regular offering, through the mail, and by electronic deposit. Designated gifts and bequests are managed by the trustees in accordance with The Book of Discipline.
- The financial secretary deposits cash and checks in a bank as soon as possible after they are received.
- The financial secretary keeps records, whenever possible, of how much money is given by whom and reports amounts received to the appropriate people.
- The financial secretary checks the records quarterly against those of the treasurer.
- The financial secretary helps ensure that the financial records are in good order for an annual audit. The financial statement is reported regularly to the committee on finance.
- The financial secretary should engage in spiritual practices to build attentiveness to God’s will and direction. Financial management and attentiveness to daily administration can detract a leader’s attention from the mission of the church to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world.
- The financial secretary is accountable to the charge conference through the church council.