1793 The first record of an established congregation in Cornwall
1828 Mrs. Thomas Burd Coleman organized the first Sunday School in the Old Mill House (later known as the Cornwall Store and now the Cornwall Inn).
1830 Mrs. Coleman died.
1834 Her husband gave 1 acre of ground to the Methodist Episcopal Church for the first permanent home for the congregation. The first church was a plain brick building, 35' by 40'.
1864 The Methodist Episcopal Church of Cornwall was incorporated.
1868 The brick church was renovated and enlarged to a 2 story building to accommodate the growing congregation.
1877 Heirs of Robert and William Coleman offered to build a bigger church if the people would contribute what they could. The congregation was already outgrowing the enlarged building. Land was cleared and the cornerstone was placed for the structure we have today. The building was planned by the same architect who designed Philadelphia's City Hall. Glass for the large Rose Window at the rear of the sanctuary was imported from Europe.
1878 The new church was completed and dedicated. The congregation applied for a resident pastor to take the place of itinerant preachers. A frame parsonage was built next to the current garage, and the small brick building in the cemetery was built to house the compressor for the gas machine which provided light for the church and the parsonage.
1879 The pipe organ was installed in the rear of the the sanctuary by Miss Anne and Robert Coleman.
1896 The entire church was frescoed and the pipe organ was moved to the front of the sanctuary.
1910 Edward Freeman erected a new parsonage in memory of his mother, Mrs. Margaret Freeman (daughter of Mrs. Thomas Burd Coleman)
1926 The bell was installed in the 84' high church tower. It was originally located in the Burd Coleman Furnace to call employees to work.
1937 - 1941 The chancel was renovated and the stained glass windows above the altar were installed.
1949 The church basement was remodeled and a kitchen was installed.
1998 A new addition was built adjacent to the existing structure to provide needed office and classroom space, as well as a new fellowship hall and kitchen. It also includes an elevator for access to the second floor sanctuary and the basement facilities.
2008 The mortgage for the 1998 addition was paid off in just ten years due to generous giving to our "Step Up To The Future" mortgage campaign. Held a mortgage burning ceremony 10/25/2008 following the Sunday services.
2011-2012 The church basement that was renovated in 1949 was renovated again to provide an updated Youth Room and kitchen which is used during the winter months to make food for the Youth Cafe. Open between services on Sunday mornings.
2011-2012 The same year the Sanctuary was painted following some minor repairs. The beautiful stained glass rose window was repointed at that time also.
2015 The small brick building in the cemetery built to house the compressor for the gas machine which provided light for the church and the parsonage was destroyed on Oct.25, 2015 when a pickup truck missed the curve and crashed into it destroying it beyond repair. See photo of the original building on the Interesting Historical Facts page. Click here
2017 As an alternative to rebuilding the pump house, a memorial garden and gazebo was built in it's spot re-incorporating materials from the demolished gas house and original pieces from previous church renovations. The dedication took place April 2018. For full story, Click here.
Cornwall UMC 717-272-0148
P.O. Box 687 Alden St. Cornwall, PA 17016
For GPS locater enter 50 Freeman Dr. Lebanon, PA
Office Hours For Our Church Secretary Mon-fri. 9AM to Noon Voice Mail Avail 24 Hours